Friday, March 10, 2017

Ah, Life...

There's this corny line in an old movie, Forrest Gump, in which he says that Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

I remember in college that I thought I had it all figured out. I would graduate, get a great job, and soar into the sky upon wings of excellence. How foolish and naive I was. I ended up waiting tables straight out of college even with a Bachelor's degree under my belt. It was jarring to be sure, but over time I realized that the key was to never give up. Ever.

I thought I had made it nearly five years ago. A failed teaching career turned into a desperate, last resort, reach for the stars. With nothing to lose and finding myself on unemployment after being laid off, I asked my wife if I could try to make a career out of writing. All I wanted was six months. If nothing happened then I would go back to teaching, and I would know what I was doing for the next 30+ years of my life.

In the sixth month, after working 14 hour days, renewing myself every morning, and praying for a miracle, it all came together. I started making as much as I was teaching, and sometimes more. I was ecstatic, and I began making a life around my work. I didn't know what I was doing all the time, but I did my best, and I realized that writing full-time was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Less than a year ago, I lost it all. My books were taken down and although it was temporary, it caused a large enough tear in my life that I was forced to turn it all upside down. I had to move, get a more traditional job, and watch as dream faded. It was the worst day of my life.

But I couldn't quit. And I tried to make the best of my situation. Now, I can finally say that I will be returning back to full-time writing. I didn't think this was would happen anytime soon, but I'm grateful. Although I'm sure I've lost some readers, some fans, a great deal of my audience...I'm hopeful that I can reach someone with one of my stories again.

No comments:

Post a Comment