The Lego Movie is one of those rare animated features that upon first mention registers little more than a raise of the eyebrows and the question, "Why?" In an era in which there are an endless string of reboots, remakes and movies based off of toys (e.g Transformers, Battleship), it was probably only a matter of time before legos were a viable option.
Written and Directed by the creator of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and starring the up and coming actor Chris Pratt (Parks and Recreation), the Lego Movie barely registered a blip on my radar until I saw a preview. Now, I'll be honest, I wouldn't have spent money on a kid's movie if I didn't have a two year old son but since I do, I actually paid attention.
And I was intrigued...
Now a preview is not an accurate indication of how a movie will turn out, and it doesn't mean that the movie will end up being good (I'm looking at you, M. Night Shyamalan), but I was willing to give it a shot...and it did not disappoint.
Chock full of pop culture references (comic books, Star Wars), self-depreciating humor (making fun of their own products), hilarious set pieces and even a heart warming message, I actually think I enjoyed the Lego Movie more than my son did. A film made for adults as well as children, you'll be laughing the entire way through and after the credits have rolled, the theme song, "Everything is Awesome," will be long stuck in your head.
I don't know how they did it, but this movie is a testament to the fact that any idea can be a success if properly executed. So, here's the rundown:
See it if:
- You like kid's movies or you have a child of your own
- You had a childhood in which you enjoyed any of the following: comic books, pirates, ninjas, star wars, an imagination or...legos.
- You want a good time at the movies and want to watch something that is actually critically praised (currently 95% on rotten tomatoes)
Don't see it if:
- You are looking for a highly complex, purely adult story.
- You don't understand mainstream pop culture (if you don't know who batman is, don't bother with this one)
- A lot of motion makes you nauseous.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars